Monday 5 November 2012

1st Draft Of Double Page Spread


Yasmin Glass is one of the biggest rising indie signing stars of the moment. She has been working her way to the top by playing gigs all over Europe for the last 2 years and has finally hit the big time, due to release her album ‘gypsy eyes’ in just two weeks time on November 18th. Not only is she making herself an impressive name in the music industry but she seems to be causing a storm on the fashion front too. Her signature red lipstick and tousled ‘sex hair’ (as her fans refer to it) have seen the likes of Marc Jacobs and Vivienne Westwood literally fighting over who’s brand she chooses to represent. There’s one thing for sure, this girl is not to be messed with. 

So, Yasmin you had your biggest gig to date last night, supporting The Smiths! How did it go?

It was so,so amazing! I got to perform alongside the smiths, people would kill for that opportunity, I literally am the luckiest girl ever, like it’s only just sunk in..the SMITHS! 

Congrats! How have you been coping with your rise to fame? Any tips?

Uhh fame, I hate that term! It’s very nice of you to say so but I really don’t see it personally, I’m just happy doing what I’m doing. Some of us just get lucky! I’m never gonna be one of those mega bitch super stars who demand skinny no fat soy lattes with a sprinkling of anorexia and treat people like they’re dirt. That’s really not who I am at all.

Marc Jacobs and Vivienne Westwood seem to think you’re the hottest thing right now..

Oh god, you’ve made me blush now. I am so psyched that they love my style and I couldn’t wish for more than to make it in the music industry and the fashion world! Double whammy!

You have been nominated for one of Vogue’s fashion icon of the year awards, why don’t you talk us through your outfit today?

I still can’t believe I have even had the chance of being nominated! I spent my teenage years reading vogue, wishing that one day I could appear on their pages alongside some of the most iconic people in the world. Cheesy right?! Anyway yea of course, I kind of just wanted to have a classic vibe today. My shirt is american apparel, umm plain topshop leggings, some chelsea boots I picked up as a total bargain in a camden market and of course my red chanel lipstick. I never ever leave the house without it.

Your classic style compliments the theme of your new album, gypsy eyes. How would you describe your inspirations and what message did you want to get across? 

haha, I’m guessing that’s a nice way of asking me what on earth made me think of my album title? Well.. the answer is, even I’m not too sure! um I wanted something that sounded interesting, intriguing and something that hadn’t been done before. Eyes have always seemed mysterious to me and they can tell a lot about a person..

What about your genre of music?

If I really had to put it down to one genre, then it would have to be indie/alternative with a bit of electronic eclectic vibes thrown in but I can’t tell you how much I hate labels! For me, the moment society brands a musician as one predictable stereotypical genre, that’s where the magic of making music ends. It’s never good for musicians to go down that route of being labelled. They should be whoever they want to be.


Do you have any music artists that have influenced you?

I could sit here and come out with the general rubbish people do such as pink floyd and the rolling stones when really, they know nothing about their music at all. However, my inspirations are so diverse it’s crazy! David Bowie, M.I.A, Marina & the diamonds, Sky Ferreira and MGMT just to name a few.. I swear the list is constantly being added to, the amount of music icons out there is amazing when you think about it.

Where would you like to see yourself in 2 years time?

Professionally, I would love for things to continue in the amazing way that they are, seeing my career unfold before my eyes would be pretty awesome. In my personal life, I’m forever dreaming of waking up in an attic apartment with a cigarette and coffee, watching morning Brooklyn. I guess then I would be happy that my life is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment