Tuesday 2 October 2012

Music magazines-How are they shown in a shop?


This task required me to go into a shop and photograph a stand which was displaying magazines, especially music magazines. Unfortunately there was a lack of music magazines in this particular shop apart from a few issues of 'Kerrang!' which is shown towards the left hand side of the image. I think that this could say even more about the audience for music magazines and the type of person who reads them. The shop I visited is not a usual place where many teenagers visit, so I feel that this outlines in even more detail how dependent the music magazine industry is dependent on young people to buy and read their publications.


Here is another photograph which shows the way in which the magazines are placed on the shelves and  exactly where the section for music magazines has been situated.

From having the experience of actually going into a shop and discovering where the music magazines are presented in a certain situation, I have learnt that (in this particular example) that very few music magazines are displayed and that I would need to make my cover eye catching and attention drawing in order to make it stand out from the rest and really make an impression on people.

Considering that the first shop I visited had a very limited selection of music magazines, I felt that the research didn't really influence me or help at all when it came to using those influences in designing my magazine. Therefore, I decided to visit another shop and get a more of an idea of a broader selection of magazines with alternate genres.


This is just one example of a single section of a music magazine stand in a different shop. This shows how much variation the stock of magazines can have depending on where they are sold and the specific target audience that is predicted to enter the shop.


From this image, we can observe that the more mainstream magazines featuring upcoming artists are situated towards the middle of the stand, on the middle row and therefore leaves the end of the rows free for the less popular publications such as 'Guitar' which specifically focuses on one instrument as opposed to a generic music magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment